Friday, August 04, 2006

Headed back for Fall, with a film crew!

I've had some time now in both Seattle and Cambridge, and am now gearing up for the coming August trip. One of the things I've been doing is building a control panel for the camcorder and depth counter, using some bits of electronics and a pic 16f84a microcontroller (many thanks to the assembly code from David Mead that I hacked for this project).


The finished control panel- it'll get installed on the electronics box for this winter, so the science technicians will be able to keep the box closed while outdoors; I think it's a good improvement!

While I was in Seattle, I was contacted by someone from the American Museum of Natural History. They want to do a short documentary (for Science Bulletins on glaciers, sea level, and climate, and they want to feature my work with Borehole Optical Stratigraphy. Far out!

So for the past few weeks I've been planning and co-ordinating to get the AMNH film crew of 4 and all their gear to Greenland to do some filming during this upcoming trip. All this amid a surprise grounding of the LC-130 hercules aircraft that we use to get into the field, with troubles in teh wing fuel tanks. So there were some days when we weren't sure if the trip would go ahead for sure at all, but now it looks like a go. More when I get to the field!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home