Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Back from a "road trip"...

You may have noticed that I haven't posted for a couple of days; this is because I was out at a "remote" (about 7 km) site known as Sandy Site, Zoe Site, or the Johnnyport site.

While there, I was making density measurements in a borehole using a Neutron Probe system. I brought along the PolyPod, which last year we set up for use during gps surveying.


The PolyPod with the logging gear set up next to it. The electronics and laptop for control are inside the PolyPod:


Inside the PolyPod with the logger set up and recording data.

On the evening of the second day I'd finished the logging I could do at the site, so it was time to go home. But then I noticed that the wind was blowing straight from my location towards the Clean Air sector, in which high-sensitivity atmospheric chemistry experiments take place. So after checking in with the main camp and getting a weather forecast, rather than start up my dirty 2-stroke snowmobile and smog the clean air sector, I decided to sit tight for another night and hope the winds changed. They did, and in the morning I headed home with favorable winds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home