Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Packing up, hopefully flying out!


Today was a day of packing boxes, getting things ready to be shipped back to Dartmouth. By the middle of the day, we'd gotten our gear all packed and "palletized" which means that it's strapped down to an aluminum Air Force pallet, the basic unit of cargo on the LC-130 aircraft on which we fly. Above, our cargo sits ready on its pallet, waiting for the plane! Once this was done, our team joined the GA pool. GA is short for General Assistant, which means doing odd jobs around camp to help out. Our task was to re-set some flags marking hazardous areas around camp. Job almost complete, we'll work on it more tomorrow while waiting for a plane!

3 Comments:

At 00:23, Blogger tia said...

Just a random nod from someone you probably do not even remember. I was at GISP2 as an assistant to Bob/Rob? someone from Michigan in June of 1997 and you were there as well. I was just looking for pictures of GISP2 to show someone and found this blog showing that you are still at it. I remember how passionate you were about the Ice Cap and it appears you still are. I find that wonderful and amazing.

Take care,
Tia

 
At 14:09, Blogger Cornelia Grey said...

Hello, Bob!

I have just recently discovered the existence of Summit Camp, and I've been reading a lot about it - it's so very interesting!

I started browsing the www.summitcamp.org website, and I'm very excited at the amount of info available there - but now I can't seem to access it anymore. Do you know if it was decided to take it down, or if it's the internet acting funny and it will be online again?

Thank you,
Cornelia

 
At 23:45, Blogger Bob said...

Hi Cornelia--
it's not been taken down- but it is actually hosted from the ice sheet itself! so as such, it's a bit more likely to suffer outages related to any number of issues that don't affect normal data centers, like generators failing or satellite availability.

Sorry it's been so long and I haven't seen your comment, I am only now back to the field!

Tia- I totally remember you! you were working with Bob Sitar on the magnetometers. I remember you hauling all those batteries out to the site by human power. What a job!

Great to hear from you!

Cheers,
Bob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home