Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Greenland 2005- first day, and a long one!

Welcome! I've started a new season. Yesterday I flew from my home in Cambridge, England, to Copenhagen, Denmark, spent the night in Copenhagen, and this morning flew from Copenhage to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. So here I am in Greenland. This season accompanying me are Richard Hindmarsh and Ed King from the British Antarctic Survey. We arrived at about 10 am local time, thanks to a several hour time change. We got right to work, starting by organizing our cargo.


Richard (holding the box) and Ed organizing our cargo



I also had some testing to do on my equipment, which had spent the winter at Summit. I found some problems with one of the components, and after some investigation, found a chip had broken off the circuit board!

The chip that broke off the circuit board. It regulates power to the video camera.



finally, I put it all together again, and did some testing to see how well the new setup dissapates heat.

testing- note the temperature module reads in C. what is it in F?



Now all the gear is packed and ready to go, and it's time for me to get some sleep. Tomorrow morning early, I'll fly to Raven while Ed and Richard fly to Summit. With any luck I'll be posting again tomorrow evening having finished my work at Raven in 1 day! if not, I'll be back online the following day.

See you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home